One of the BBOB

One of the BBOB
Just the place for winter

Friday, November 19, 2010

More logic incongruity –or, am I just expecting too much

I can understand the need for controlling the speed of traffic. On Bagram, the speed limit is a break-neck-speed of 25km/hr. I can even understand the need for safety belts; it is proven to save lives.

Here on BAF, if you go 9km/h over the speed limit, you will have your vehicle confiscated. Yep, no due process, no second chance – you have been warned. If you drive without a safety belt, you will have your vehicle confiscated. Now, if you start your vehicle without first strapping on your safety belt, you will have your vehicle confiscated. If you get caught without a license or you drive under the influence (I can understand this one, but there is not supposed to be any alcohol on base and you are not allowed to have narcotics on base – prescription or otherwise) you will be parking your vehicle with all the others in the compound at the north end.

I tell you all this to share the following:
I have seen Afghani’s stuffed into cars and jammed into the back of trucks. I have even seen them riding in the bucket of a frontend loader. No seat belt used.
I have seen MRAP’s driven like they were stolen (well over the speed limit) and I have never seen an MRAP in the compound.
Does this mean the rules are subjective? Just asking.

One more logic problem:
I have noticed that things are often done out of order. As an example, road construction. Numerous times I have seen a road being resurfaced (it can take 3 months to do 1 km). The surface looks good for about a week, then certain things happen. The first thing you notice is the road is pitting and eroding away in big chunks. Yep, now they send out the Quality Control guy to test the road… too late. The second thing you notice is the big ditch/channel dug across the road to accommodate a cable crossing or drainage ditch. Why didn’t someone put in the ditch/channel before the final surfacing? It took three months to do the road, surely someone had the forethought to put in the ditch early.

While I am asking stupid questions… can anyone tell me why we have condoms and pregnancy test kits in the PX if no one on BAF is supposed to be having sex? General Order Number 1 – NO SEX while on BAF.

At least the PX moved the Lamisil away from the Vagisil . You really don’t want to confuse those two products.

No comments:

Post a Comment