One of the BBOB

One of the BBOB
Just the place for winter

Friday, November 19, 2010

Here are the stages of enthusiasm (as I see it) for new arrivals at BAF.


Prior to arriving: Uncertainty as to what to expect when they arrive – what are the living conditions; what type of work will I do; how dangerous is the base (how often do we get “hit” by the bad guys)?


First impressions upon arriving
: Looking out the window of the plane – “People actually live in this barren waste land? It is all shades of brown: Where is the green? Did we just launch flares before landing? In-processing takes forever. My baggage is in that great heap of a mess outside in the dust? Thank God it is not raining or snowing”. [Epiphany – this is not fog. Fog does not burn my lungs and make my eyes itch. This is dust and smoke (from the open burn pit)].


Professionalism: Despite the “obstacles” of being on Bagram Air Field, I am going to do my job to the best of my ability. After all, I am US service member (or civilian) and I am here (was hired) to do a job. I will make a difference while I am here. I can make things better. I have some great ideas on process improvement.


Frustration, desperation, aggravation: It does not take long to discover the overwhelming regulations, rules, and in-fighting (between services/civilians/locals) that make your job almost impossible. There are so many O-5’s and above, the base is very top-heavy. If you are not in this category, you will have a difficult time. The base is duel-run: the Air Force controls the air field and the Army controls the rest. Everyone wants to protect their rice bowl and their piece of land. “How in the hell can I do my job under these conditions”? Most people understand this after two weeks.


Acceptance: Usually it takes between 6 weeks and 2 months to accept the status quo and realize that you will not have much of an impact on the “BAF WAY OF DOING THINGS”. At this point, most people are professional enough to do their jobs as best they can within the BAF process. “OK. I can do my job and I’ll eventually go home. When I leave, I can say that I did my work under adverse conditions.” I say most people because there are a few who never want to do their jobs under BAF conditions. I know one Major that had the following attitude after 2 weeks until he left at the end of his 6 month tour: “F**K it, I don’t care. I only have (XX number) weeks left here.” Or, another major had the attitude: “Things would have to improve before they suck.” Fortunately, they are the minority.


Vindication
: Once acceptance has set in, most people go with the flow and do their job as best as they can. Some even try to find ways to work around, and within, some of the more egregious restrictions without compromising security or safety. They have discovered that they are not the “problem” and the “process” is the problem. So, they go about their work as best they can within the BAF system. Once the individual discovers the niche for his/her talents and abilities, the work goes much easier and they feel vindicated in their work ethic.

No comments:

Post a Comment